Monday, January 26, 2009

Jason Kirby's Scholarship Essay

This is an essay I wrote for a scholarship I applied for. The requirements were to write about my educational and professional goals, why I chose my major, and who is my biggest influence.


Why I Became an Entrepreneuer

My father worked full-time and had to go to night school majoring in Finance at University of Houston. He knew without a college education he would not be able to provide the life he wanted for my brother and I. My father is a proud man and his hard work over the years has proven that he tries to put his family first before his own well being.

I love my father for everything he has done for me and the wonderful life he has given me. In appreciation of the fulfilling life he has given me, I have taken leaps and bounds in college to impress my father and show him that everything he has done for me did not go to waste. I set my eyes on being a Finance major at San Diego State University and following the footsteps of my father. However, I remembered the workload and stress my father went through in order to make it where he is now. It seems as though he works harder now than when he was younger and will probably continue to do so until he is 65 years old.

I realized this is not the professional career choice I want, so I changed my major to Entrepreneurial Management. The factors that influenced my decision to change from a Finance major to an Entrepreneurial Management major were clear. I wanted to put my family first before work and never wanted to have to worry about work coming in the way of my time with my family. Another reason was I love exploring new things and having control over making decisions to make changes or make something better. That is why I decided becoming an entrepreneur was the right path for me.

SDSU provides some of the best resources in the country for aspiring entrepreneurs and this has got me excited for my future. Being an entrepreneur requires a strong educational background, however, experience is what makes an entrepreneur successful. In order to increase my experience while studying to graduate Kum Latte, I have several small goals set for myself outside of the classroom.

Many of the goals I have already achieved and expanded on. For example I have already started my own company, managed a project with over 70 people involved for profit with considerable donations to charity, held an executive position in my fraternity, the entrepreneur society, and an Associated Students advisory board. My goals from this point are to start a partnership and a new company by the time I graduate. The main goal behind all of these is to gain comprehensive knowledge in all aspects of business so I can more successfully run and understand a business.
Being an entrepreneur all leads back to what my father had to go through to give me the everything I have and me wanting to give back to him by being the best I can possibly be.

Jason Kirby
The Entrepreneur
www.Jason-Kirby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment